Friday, May 6, 2011

Mine!

So yesterday brought the advent of the possesive in my eldest daughter. In other words, she discovered that things don't just exist, they belong. And apparently they all belong to her.

I knew this day was coming and therefore I am not shocked or saddened. Asking a child to never try to hold ownership over anything and everything in their world is like asking the sun not to shine, the grass not to grow. In fact I am not only not shocked, I am a little entertained by it. Because unlike so many toddlers in the world, Maron is not just coming up to me with something and screaming "Mine!" into my face. She has been very calmly and politely informing me that things belong to Maron. The Nerf football? "This belongs to Maron." The bouncy ball? "This belongs to Maron." The blanket and bunnies and lovey in her bed? You got it - "This belongs to Maron." So while I cannot say that I am raising an entirely unselfish toddler (which at this stage of development is impossible), I can at least boast that she is very polite in her attempt at total and complete control of all object in her presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment