Monday, March 28, 2011

Movin' on up...

Steve and I have been talking for a while about switching Maron's crib into a big girl bed. She has a convertible crib, so all you have to do it take the front rail off and you have a toddler bed. We didn't want to take the rail off and leave her with nothing though, because I've noticed at night that Maron sleeps right up against the rail. I was afraid that if she rolled up to a rail that wasn't there she'd fall out of bed and get soured on the toddler bed right from the start. So we searched around online and bought a Kidco Convertible Crib Bed Rail. It assembles without tools and is attached under the crib mattress and provides a barrier to prevent falling out while still allowing a child to get in and out of bed by themselves. It arrived last week, and on Saturday we decided to make the conversion.

I confess that I was nervous about making the change. I've heard so many parents talk about how, when they switched their kids to toddler beds, the kids were in and out of bed all night long while they got used to it. Some out of fear and some out of stubbornness, but out of bed all the same. So it was with a little trepidation and a lot of planning for the worst that I put Maron to bed on Saturday night.

But guess what... she did AWESOME!!! She did not get out of bed or even wake up once during the night. And she was still IN her bed after she woke up and I went in to get her in the morning. Just laying there, looking up at me... she looked calm and relaxed like she didn't even notice a difference. I'm attributing her instant success to two things: 1. Maron is a ROCKSTAR and 2. Because she did not take a nap yesterday I think she was too tired at bed time to even think of fighting the change. I was so happy I took a picture of her in all of her Big Girl glory.



This isn't to say that we will never have any getting out of bed in the middle of the night issues, but so far it's been 2 nights in a row of sheer awesome, and I couldn't be more proud of my little Fidget.

No comments:

Post a Comment