Friday, March 4, 2011

It is day 4 of my no bread, no pasta March challenge. I have been stalwart and true so far, but I'm beginning to rethink my decision for this month's challenge. I'm wondering if there is honestly any point. I'm keeping myself on so strict a diet right now that all this month's challenge really means is that I can't eat any of the (presumably) yummy goulash Steve made with ground turkey, that has been sitting in the fridge taunting me all week. And it means no tuna fish sandwhiches for dinner, which is a shame because they are quite filling and full of protein. Other than that, there's really no difference between me not allowing myself any bread or pasta this month and me sticking to my regularily scheduled diet.

In retrospect I realize that this is the sort of challenge I should have given myself in any of the final months of 2010, when I threw carb and calorie caution to the wind and went hells bells for instant food gratification. That's when it would have actually made a difference. Now it just seems really annoying. Not because I have to avoid the bread and pasta, but because I have to remember to avoid the bread and pasta. At a time when I'm already busy remembering to measure how many cups of steamed broccoli I'm eating, to chug the water before and after every meal and to log in my spreadsheet every calorie I have consumed today, I have just added one more thing to remember. I've broken myself of the habit of sitting down to a snack of two pieces of toast with butter and jam - that's not an issue now. Now the issue it remembering not to eat the piece of crust I cut off of the toast I make for Maron.

I am now looking forward to my weigh-in on Monday. I'm interested to see if there will be any notable difference on the scale.

2 comments:

  1. Wow.... bread and pasta! I've done that before and it is hard. It really has to be a lifetime decision to not have it at all. that is a tough one to give up! I've done it before and lived on rice. Why on earth are you measuring broccoli! Isn't that a free food? I would think that one would be carte blanche! Keep on keepin' on, Micah! Can't wait to hear about your weigh-in! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's a free food on Weight Watchers, but I'm on that program. I can't afford programs or gyms, so I'm doing this all on my own.
    I count broccoli (and everything else) because I have a set amount of calories I can eat in a day. My motto is 'Every calorie counts, so count every calorie.'

    ReplyDelete