Sunday, January 27, 2013

Demolition Man... and Wife

This has been a very productive weekend for us. We had one goal, and one goal alone... Take down The Shanty.
 
The Shanty, as you can see below, is a tiny little shack that was on the corner of the property when Steve purchased it. The previous owner had built it to be a green house, but Steve and his father used it as a shelter from inclement weather back in the early days of the home construction. They even put in a wood burning cast iron stove. A stove which still stands sturdy (though rusty) and will make a kitchy addition to my future Spokane home's back deck. 
 
These pics are the before, during, and after shots...
 
 
Behold The Shanty! Complete with missing glass panels
and rotting tree stumps.
 
Steve, standing amidst the wreckage.
 
It's gone... ALL GONE!!
 
 
I am sitting here now, tired and sore as all get out. But I am SO glad that we tackled this project (finally!) and managed to get it done in one weekend. The plus side of course is that we have torn down the aesthetic abomination. The down side is that by tearing down the trashy shanty we opened up the corner of the yard facing the even trashier yard of the people behind us. Complete with rusted, broken swing set and a fire hazard lawn that has not been mowed in over 2 years. Sometimes when you win, you lose.
 
I will say that, in spite of the crazy body aches and moist chest wheeze I have as a result of two days hard labor, I am SO happy that we spent this weekend getting something big checked off our Get the Hell Out of Here checklist. So goodbye, Shanty. May you find renewed purpose in the 'mask wearing, knife wielding psycho' nightmare's of  youth.  

No comments:

Post a Comment