Wednesday, November 16, 2011

I woke up this morning and looked out the window and saw a thick layer of frost coating the roof of my house. I'm not surprised - not in the least. We're halfway through November now, deep within the clutches of Autumn. Winter is on its way, and with it will come snow for many people. Granted, I live in the Pacific Northwest, which is mostly void of snow each year. But for the first 20 years of my life I lived in Spokane, which gets snow each and every year. Some years it starts early, some years it starts late, but it always shows up there eventually and sticks around until Spring.

I don't hate the snow. I grew up in it and know how to deal with it; I can walk in the snow, drive in the snow and have the time of my life playing in the snow. And shovelling snow from the sidewalks and driveways was always one of my favorite activities on a cold Winter evening.

What I DO hate is all of the bitching about the snow. It annoys me to no end that the first time there is the slightest dusting of white powder in easter Washington the people en mass take to Facebook/Twitter/Whatever to bitch about it. I can't stand all of the "OMG it SNOWED!" or "Snow snow go away!" or my personal favorite "Okay, who ordered the snow? You are in BIG trouble!" Seriously Spokane?! It snows every fucking year. All of the people I know who live there know how to drive in the snow because they do it EVERY YEAR. Spokane isn't like other places that see snow so infrequently that entire cities are forced to shut down. For example, the one day that I saw snow while living in Marietta Georgia I went to Pep Boys to buy chains for my tiny little pickup truck so I could get to work. I was informed that driving with chains on your tires was illegal in Georgia and I would have to go to Louisiana to even buy chains.

Don't get me wrong Spokanites, I'm not just picking on you; I feel just as annoyed when people in Seattle bitch about how much it rains. (Don't even get me started about how the first rain after summer sends the freeway drivers into panic 'drive like an untrained idiot monkey' mode.) And I understand that there are times when the weather is so severe that it starts shutting down towns and affecting lives - like Ice Storm '96. But those things don't happen every year, and when they do happen most of the people that do they cyber bitching aren't able to because their power is out. So get used to it, people. The cold season has come and is bringing with it the frost and the snow and the ice. It happened last year and will happen again next year, so let's everyone accept it and move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment