Friday, September 9, 2011

Happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me, happy birthday to meeeeeee, happy birthday to me.

I am 30 years old today. So far is doesn't feel any different than 29, which the exception that I treated myself to teriyaki for lunch today, which I never did when I was 29. But I did today, because it's my 30th birthday. And if you can't treat yourself to teriyaki for lunch on your 30th birthday, when the hell can you?

So far I have received 1 happy birthday wish in person (from Steve, obviously), 1 over the phone, 2 emails, 2 texts and 35 Facebook wall posts. That's a lot of love, for which I am greateful.

The birthday wishes I have not received so far today (by any method)? My mother, my father, one of my brothers, both of my sister-in-laws and a few very dear friends. I know the day's not over yet; it's on 3:08 pm, afterall. But considering we are 13 hours into the 24 hours of my actual birthday... well, let's just say I expected at least half of my family to have acknowledged me by now. And I understand that everyone is busy with lives of their own, but there is 1 day, 1 DAY out of the entire year where I get to be special, ALL DAY LONG. Today is MY day, and busy or not, I really expected better. I call every one of my immediate family members on their birthdays, as early as can possibly be considered appropriate. And I do that so that they will know that they are important to me, and that they were one of the first thoughts that went through my mind that day.

Everyone deserves to feel special on their birthday. Everyone should feel special on their birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment