I love writing in journals. I always have, and I always will. At any given point in my life I have had several different journals that I write in.
I have a journal now that I love. It’s a nice hardback diary with the Hogwarts crest on the front of it that I bought at the Harry Potter gift shop on the Universal City Walk in Los Angeles when I went to visit Georgi in 2017. This is probably my all time favorite journal.
Now here’s something that doesn’t make sense...
I love my HP journal so much that I almost never write in it. What’s that? ‘That sounds ridiculous’ you say? Well you’re not wrong.
Allow me to offer up a little slice of my crazy to you.
I love this journal so much that I want to be able to write in it forever. But the only way to have blank pages in it to write on forever more is to not write in it now. You see, the longer I don’t write in it, the longer I will be able to write in it.
So going off of that logic, the only times I have written in this favorite journal so far are when big things have happened. Details about my trip to L.A., getting engaged, the death of a friend, getting married, etc. I told myself that I’m only allowed to write in this journal if I have something big and important to report.
Recently however I had a kind of ah-ha moment where I realized that saving this journal for only the big and important life events is a waste of its purpose and my potential. The fact is, once all of the pages of this journal I love so much are full, I can simply buy another journal. This hardback Harry Potter journal is not the only one of its kind, and it’s not the only writing book that I will ever fall in love with. So going forward I am going to write in my journal, all the time. I am going to write down the big things and the small things alike. I am going to write down all the words floating around in my head, because someday, many decades from now (God willing and the crick don’t rise), there won’t be any words in my head at all because I will be gone. And at that point the only thing my children will have of me are memories of the words I said, and also the ones I wrote down.
No comments:
Post a Comment